Saturday, March 31, 2018

Calm Before the Storm


There is something undeniably rich and full about silence. On Holy Saturday especially, there is a feeling like a “calm before a storm”. Jesus’ crucifixion has been achieved and his body has been laid into the tomb. Notably, where before the cross there were three Marys (Jesus’ mother, the wife of Clopus, and the Magdalene), at the tomb there are only the latter two—along with a woman named Salome. Jesus’ mother by her absence shows that she knows that there is no need to go. Surely she is not at home prostrate with grief; she knows that the story isn’t over when everyone else thinks it is.

My earliest encounter with karate was watching an episode of an old western on television in about 1960. It was about an apparent sissy who appears in town; he wears nice suits and dressy cloth gloves on his hands. He is bullied and mocked by the he-men cowboys. He’s pushed around on the street and sneered at in the saloon. Finally, as the show nears its end, when he is mocked once again for wearing fancy gloves, he has had enough; he gets up from the table and takes off his gloves. His knuckles are enlarged with calluses. One of the punchers asks, “Wh—, whut happen to yo’ hands?” The newcomer smashes a table with his hands and then lights into the cowboys and lays them all out. Turns out he had recently returned from several years’ stay in the Orient where he had learned karate.

That was the time when karate was becoming known in the United States and schools were beginning to appear. A friend of mine became interested in karate in the late 1950s when a schoolmate said, “There’s this thing called karate [which he pronounced ‘kay-rate’], and the guys who do it can break boards with their hands.” Shortly after that my friend opportunely moved with his family to Korea for business and he earned a black belt in Tang Soo Do, a style of Korean karate, from the founder-master. (It was the same style as Chuck Norris’, who also first learned in Korea.) When my friend returned to the United States, he opened the first Tang Soo Do school in the nation.

The idea of an apparent weakling who humbly takes abuse from bullies until he finally turns the tables is one of the great stories of humanity. There are many such stories in our culture, in movies and books, many of which I could name.

Deep down, it is the story of Jesus—a fantasy which became fact. Betrayed by a disciple, Jesus was taken into custody by his enemies who were too cowardly to arrest him openly in public, put through a sham trial, and then taken to the secular authorities represented by Pontius Pilate who declared him innocent yet condemned him to death anyway as a savvy political move designed to keep the peace in a tense, politically fragile situation. All of them were bullies who abused their power to rid themselves of one seemingly weak and friendless man who threatened their security.

The week of political, legal, and official manipulation and self-protection finally culminated in an apparent triumph for the bullies. Jesus was executed and then buried in a borrowed tomb. Holy Saturday is the day after the crowd had done its worst to the apparent weakling, and think that they’ve won.


And then the weakling takes off his gloves.



There are many paintings by countless artists of the crucifixion, and a good number of the resurrection. But I think there is only one of the events of Holy Saturday. The day of rich quiet. The calm before the storm. It is this one. It is called “Easter morning”, and was painted by Caspar David Friedrich (1774-1840). It is housed in a private collection in Switzerland; the painting was rendered in the early 1830s but not made public until 1973. It shows the two Marys and Salome going to the tomb to anoint the body of Jesus. The bare trees are symbols of death, and the women are mourning like anyone else who'd had lost to death someone that they loved. Yet the full moon overhead symbolizes the resurrection of Jesus that has already happened, and which they are about to discover. The calm of Holy Saturday is already giving way to the storm of the resurrection. It is the Great Reversal. “Death is conquered, man is free, Christ has won the victory.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fr. Baumann,
I am an orthodox Anglo-catholic in another diocese, and I have recently happened upon your blog and been much blessed by reading its archives. Curiosity prompted me to do an internet search for your name, which leads me to ask a simple but nosy question. How does a SSC priest like you square your traditionality with your divorce and remarriage, especially a remarriage with such a vast age discrepancy. Or am I wildly misinformed?

This is a sincere question, not an attempt to embarrass you. I really do appreciate your writing here, and have recently read one of your books. I am looking forward to reading the rest of them soon, if I can get Inter-library loan to cooperate.

Thanks,
Anonymous Layman (My name is unusual, so I don't want to use it here and risk embarrassment for asking a stupid question).

Father David said...

Thank you for asking this question. I am sorry it has taken this long to respond to you, but I haven't thought to check my blog for several weeks. I have not searched online for my name for a long time so I don't know what is posted, but I do know that a number of people have posted misinformation, outright lies, guesswork and gossip, etc. about me. Those who know the truth, including very traditional Episcopal bishops and Roman Catholic priests, are highly supportive of my current life situation. Indeed, if it were not so I could not have been allowed to remain in the SSC. The details of my life are, of course, not subject to posting online, including in my blog. If you want further personal contact, I will welcome it, whether on this topic or on my books. My email is not hard to find, and you can always write a letter to one of the churches I now serve in Illinois, i.e. P.O. Box 622, Salem, IL 62881.